USC-STC has an exciting opening for someone who lives and breathes social media and loves unmanned technology: A part-time position assisting our non-profit get its message out.
You’ll have to be a bit of a Ninja, as the position covers the full spectrum of communications. Here’s a more complete look at what the position entails:
Unmanned Systems Canada / Systèmes Télécommandés Canada (USC-STC) is the national industry association representing entrepreneurs, businesses, students, academia, industry, and government organizations working in the aerial, ground and marine remotely-piloted and unmanned vehicle systems sector.
We are committed to promoting public awareness, education and appreciation for the social, economic, and environmental benefits that unmanned systems can provide to individuals, communities and organizations.
We are searching for a part-time Social Media and Communications whiz to help us create and amplify messages, drive membership and help tell Canadian #Unmanned success stories through news releases, stories and media outreach.
About the opportunity:
USC-STC is looking for an energetic self-starter with social media chops to match. The successful candidate is comfortable with the many skills required to keep our non-profit in the public mind. This job is an important one, especially with our annual conference coming this fall.
What you’ll be doing/key opportunities:
- In conjunction with the Communications committee, plan a Social Media calendar to guide post topics three months in advance
- Post USC-STC messages regularly to Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, with appropriate voice for each channel
- Engage with readers online
- Write and post articles on unmannedsystems.ca
- Promote #UC20Remote, an online conference taking place in November
- Work closely with USC-STC’s Conference Committee
- Promote regular webinars and other special USC-STC events
- Create graphics for special events
- Identify and establish relationships with key media
- Analyze metrics and act on results
- Write and distribute polished news releases
A bit about you:
The ideal candidate will be able to work with minimal supervision. She or he will have an innate understanding of what needs to be done and when to do it. The successful candidate must be passionate about social media and technology. A basic understanding of the world of #drones and autonomous systems would be helpful, or a willingness to learn. Some of your other soft skills include:
- The ability to translate bureaucratic or technical language into a more colloquial form
- A commitment to serve as an internal social media champion to USC-STC board members
- A natural curiosity about the #unmanned sector in Canada
- A keen understanding of the differing requirements of print, radio, television and online media outlets
- Understanding and appreciation of STEM
- Ability to work under deadline pressure
- Zoom, zoom, zoom with regular weekly meetings
- Experience in PR, corporate communications, journalism or related fields
- Proven experience promoting a brand
- Personal social media accounts that demonstrate a thorough understanding of the medium
- Excellent communication skills, including oral and written English
- Excellent judgment, problem-solving, social and interpersonal skills
- A digital-first approach
Nice to have:
- If you are bilingual – that would be fantastic. Like, really fantastic.
What makes us different makes us stronger: USC-STC is committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate diversity
Have you got what it takes? Email us your CV, along with a cover letter of why you’re a perfect fit. Send it all to [email protected]