NAVCAN Releases New Procedure to Allow RPAS Access to Controlled Airspace

USC-STC Board Member Mike Campbell attended the “Drone Talks” in Ottawa this week. Important details around the June 1 regulatory changes were discussed at length, along with the future of BVLOS and UTM. Perhaps most significant this week, however, was news from NAV CANADA of a new process required prior to flying RPAS in controlled airspace. Here, Mike outlines some of the details. 


We would like to inform you of some important changes that may impact the operation of your remotely piloted aircraft (RPA). As of June 1, 2019, new Transport Canada regulations will apply to all RPA operating in Canadian airspace. For more information on these new regulations, visit Transport Canada’s Drone Safety page​.

If you plan to operate your RPA in controlled airspace (Classes C, D or E), you must have a Transport Canada Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations, and you must now obtain a written RPAS Flight Authorization from NAV CANADA, by submitting an RPAS Flight Authorization Request. This written authorization process replaces any previous email or telephone method and is now the only way to receive NAV CANADA authorization to fly your RPA in controlled airspace.

For more information or to submit an RPAS Flight Authorization Request, please visit NAV CANADA’s new RPAS webpage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.