USC is proud to support post-secondary students with a $2500 Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship Award.
To honour Canada’s rising stars who shape the future of Unmanned Vehicle Systems, USC is proud to offer an annual Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship Award.
In December 2006, a young, gifted unmanned vehicles engineer working with CDL Systems named Mark Cuss passed away after a courageous 22-month battle with cancer.
At the time of his death, Mark was only 27 years old. However, during his short time,Mark made significant accomplishments both in his personal life and in his professional life.
We encourage you to read more about Mark’s life, his scholarship to the Devry Technical Institute in Calgary, and his work to innovate farming with his award-winning ‘fuzzy logic control system for an unmanned tractor.’
Please visit our Mark Cuss tribute page, HERE.
In response to the untimely death of this talented young engineer, a scholarship fund has been established in Mark’s name, administered by Unmanned Systems Canada in his memory.
The Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship
The USC Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship is intended to:
- Honour Mark’s memory by encouraging the interest of those in the field of unmanned vehicles and furthering future innovations.
- Reduce the financial burden of post-secondary education for students interested in unmanned vehicle technologies.
- Encourage and facilitate students to develop and communicate concepts related to unmanned vehicle technology.
The USC Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship is open to undergraduate studies at any recognized Canadian University or DeVry Institute located within Canada. It is a cash scholarship awarded annually to one student winner. To qualify, students must:
- Be registered full-time in a post-secondary Canadian institution
- Be a member of Unmanned Systems Canada, work or intern for a corporate or academic member of Unmanned Systems Canada, and/or be a child under 22 of a parent who is an individual or corporate member. To assist with meeting this criteria, in 2018 the USC Awards Committee agreed to provide one-year complimentary memberships to students who apply by the submission deadline
- Provide poof of academic accomplishment in the previous school year by maintaining a minimum of 75% average (or 85% average if the previous year was from a high school/secondary school)
- If the applicant is employed or interning for a corporate or academic member of Unmanned Systems Canada, a letter of reference must be provided from their employer describing their tasks and overall work performance
- Demonstrate an understanding of the unmanned vehicle industry by writing an essay describing their ‘vision for the UAS industry’ (details, below)
Apply before October 1, 2018
- Submit the USC Scholarship Application Form to Unmanned Systems Canada by the application deadline announced each year. The deadline for 2018 is October 1st at 11:59:59 EST
- Submit transcripts of the previous school year from a recognized Canadian high school/secondary school, university or college, or at a DeVry Institute located within Canada;
- Submit proof of enrollment in a recognized Canadian University, college, or any DeVry Institute within Canada;
- Submit a letter of reference from their employer (if the employer is a corporate member of Unmanned Systems Canada);
- Submit an essay on any unmanned systems-related topic outlining their ‘Vision for the UAS Sector’. Essays have no minimum length, but a cannot exceed 6 pages.
Student Awards Selection Process
All applications will be reviewed and considered by USC’s Awards Scholarship Committee appointed by the Board of Unmanned Systems Canada. The evaluation process shall treat academic marks, the essay/technical paper and job performance (if applicable) with equal weight to determine the successful applicant.
To apply for the Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship, please:
Fill in the application form or type your responses into the email message body, then supply all supporting documents by emailing the USC Awards Selection Committee at
As of 2018, all student applicants will receive:
- A one-year USC Student Membership. This means that all Award applicants receive the discounted student rate for USC’s 16th Annual Unmanned Canada 2018 Conference and Trade Show in Vancouver, BC (October 30th to November 1st, 2018) but students are responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements.
- A profile on the USC National Industry Directory.
The USC Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship winner will be informed within three weeks and will receive:
- A $2500 cash contribution
- A recognition announcement at the Awards Ceremony at the 2018 Unmanned Systems Canada Conference and Trade Show
Remember – the deadline this year for students to apply for the Mark Cuss Memorial Scholarship is October 1st, 2018.
We encourage all post-secondary students across Canada to fill in the application form (or share your responses into an email), provide all supporting documents, then immediately email the USC Awards Selection Committee at [email protected]
The USC Board of Directors is grateful to the family and friends of Mark Cuss for sharing his story and his vision with our community. We are honoured to recognize Mark’s contributions to our sector – and we hope that this Award inspires and supports other rising stars to strive for excellence as they pursue their dreams, too.
Please note – If you’d like to help promote this year’s announcement across your networks, please share this message and graphic through your emails and social media channels. We’d appreciate your support!